[Web-SIG] more comments on Paste Deploy

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 10:55:49 CET 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> Personally, I don't care for the Paste Deploy syntax -- frankly
>> it's almost barbaric.  :)
>
> I don't mean to pick on you, but I really *hate* comments like this.

That's okay ;-)

> criticism.  I'd appreciate it if we would all just ignore statements
> like this and, preferably, stop making them.

...but I don't think this is. I'd much prefer to hear people's gut
feelings, even if they can't justify them. It all gives indication. Yes,
if only one person says "this sucks", then their opinion may not be
worth changing the implementation for. However, if 50% of users said
"this sucks", even if they couldn't explain why, that'd be something
worth worrying about.

> A few years back, we created a library to parse more sophisticated
> apache-like syntax and I wish we hadn't.

I'm glad ZConfig exists.

> The ini/config format is
> pretty standard and, IMO, really quite adequate.

How does it handle nesting?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk