[Web-SIG] ConfigParser for configuration

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 11:02:21 CET 2007

Fred Drake wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm glad ZConfig exists.
>
> Me too, though it does many things differently than if I'd had free reign.

You have free reign now, right? ;-)

>> How does it handle nesting?
>
> It doesn't, but an application can use explicit references to other
> sections.

You mean like the format expected by logging.config.fileConfig?

> It doesn't take care of things magically without some
> additional help, for which we've avoided premature abstraction.

Not sure what this means...

Okay, so, say I have a config.ini and I want to have logging sections
for using in logging.config.fileConfig and other sections for use by my
app's config.

How would I share the one config file between fileConfig and whatever my
app uses to tickle ConfigParser? Would each section have to parse the
file? Would the get confused about keys not designed for them?

Can one config.ini include other .ini files in the same way ZConfig allows?

> The .ini format is working quite well for zc.buildout, I think.  The
> support for layering multiple files is quite nice, and is completely
> explicit.

What is this support for layering multiple files? I couldn't find it
anywhere in the ConfigParser docs :-S

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk