[Web-SIG] more comments on Paste Deploy

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 9 13:58:06 CET 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Chad Whitacre wrote:

> James,
>
> Thanks for weighing in.
>
>>> I'd love to get some input who know a lot about what makes
>>> deploying PHP apps so easy.
>>
>> In a past life I had a fair amount of experience working with
>> and deploying PHP, so I'll throw in my $0.02.
>>
>> It's worth pointing out that a lot of the "PHP is easier"
>> perception is largely just that -- a perception.
>
> I don't have tons of PHP experience, but I did just finish
> working on a pretty sizable job, and the deployment was anything
> but easy. Instead it was a brittle amalgam of XML, Apache conf,
> and nasty PHP abstractions. My impression is that PHP is easy for
> simple cases (unpack WordPress and go), but quickly gets ugly
> when you start dealing with frameworks.
>
> So maybe Python is the opposite? Harder for the simple cases, but
> more elegant in the more complicated scenarios.

I don't think this is the case, or, I don't think it has to be.  It
would be interesting if PHP was simple to deploy for simple
applications and complex to deploy for complex application.  That
would inform our discussion quite a bit, IMO, as I think it would be
far easier for us to make Python easier to install for simple
applications than it would be for us to make Python easier to install
for complex applications.  We could bring tools to bear that would be
appropriate to the problem.  Maybe this would be a good place to
start. Dang, I wish I had time to.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org