[Web-SIG] windows, pywebd, webctl

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Mar 12 15:01:20 CET 2007

On Mar 12, 2007, at 1:26 AM, Brian Sutherland wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 01:22:58PM -0500, Chad Whitacre wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> First, your comments re: paying attention to sysadmins are
>> well-taken. Thanks.
>
> I was pointed to this conversation and would like to comment
> wearing my
> sysadmin hat about what I would like. How I think web applications
> should be installed on unix. Basically, I'll just go through what
> happens when I install apache, squid or postgres on linux.
>
> When I install an application that is a daemon,

There is an interesting subtlety here.  I think of Zope (or
applications built using Zope components) as applications that can be
run as one or more daemons.  To me, a daemon is a particular instance
of an application, not the application itself.  I (and my SAs) prefer
to separate software installation from configuration.  We prefer that
these be 2 steps.  We often run multiple daemons of the same
application on a single machine. The configuration of these daemons
(and cron jobs, and so on) are controlled from a central
configuration database that is mostly independent of the software
install.  We don't want deamons installed automatically when an
application is installed.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org