[Web-SIG] how to post from a cgi script and not a html form??

Jeff Peery jeffpeery at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 05:43:23 CET 2007

Thanks, thats a big help!

  only two things I don't understand well. when I create a http object with HTTPConnection() do I want this to be to my web host server (hostway.com) or to the server I'm posting to (authorize.net)?

  and what are the headers used for?

  again, thanks!

  Jeff

Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 05/11/2007, Alex Botero-Lowry wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:14:31PM -0800, Jeff Peery wrote:
> > hello,
> > I'm pretty new to using python on the web, I've got a bit of code
> > that works pretty well to get form inputs and such. Now I need to post
> > some info to a gateway service (for credit card processing) and then
> > receive their response and do something with it. I can do this no
> > problem... except that I'm not sure how to post my dictionary (name
> > value pairs from form inputs i.e., credit card num, expire dates etc)
> > from the cgi script. I had been using the html forms to submit data to
> > the server, but now I need to do this from my cgi script. I think this is
> > pretty straight forward but I didn't see anything in the cgi module.
> > where do I start, or does anyone have some sample code? thanks!!
>
> You'll need httplib which luckily come with the stdlib so no need to install
> anything.
>
> Something like this should get you going:
>
> conn = httplib.HTTPConnection(remote_server)
> values = '&'.join([ '%s=%s' % a for a in values.items() ])

>From memory, better off using urllib.urlencode() for this as it will
properly quote and convert special characters.

http://mail.yahoo.com