[Web-SIG] again about logging in WSGI

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sat Nov 24 10:02:42 CET 2007

Graham Dumpleton ha scritto:
> [...]
>
> Please don't use 'mod_wsgi', use 'nginx' as you originally said.
>
> There is already going to be enough confusion around you using the
> 'mod_wsgi' name when the Apache WSGI implementation came first. I
> really wish now that I had insisted you specifically call it
> 'nginx_wsgi' even though you based it on Apache mod_wsgi. T

No, I called it mod_wsgi because it is "module wsgi".
To reduce confusion, as an example, in my Mercurial repository, mod_wsgi
is under the 'nginx' directory.

I will try to make sure that the "nginx" prefix will always well visible.

> o try to be
> compatible is one thing, to use the same name in a way that is
> confusing is just going to cause more and more problems down the track
> if nginx mod_wsgi does get to a point of being usuable.
>
> Whatever you do, please do not go releasing any distinct Python
> module/package called 'mod_wsgi' as the Apache mod_wsgi code is all
> set up around it being able to do that already, with the assumption
> that it has ownership of that namespace because it started using the
> name first.

But this is a "no problem" :).
A WSGI application can be embedded in Apache *or* in nginx.

I would like to use a common name/interface so applications can easily
be ported from Nginx to Apache and viceversa.

 > [...]
 >
> Any suggestions on a consensus on how we resolve all this and avoid
> arguments down the track are more than welcome. Presuming that is that
> people want to object to Apache mod_wsgi assuming that it can use
> 'mod_wsgi' for the name of a Python module/package. :-)
>
> Graham

Manlio Perillo