[Web-SIG] multi-threaded or multi-process wsgi apps

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:45:50 CET 2007

On 29/11/2007, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> > As for general issues around best way to perform application
> > initialisation, problem is that what is the most appropriate way may
> > depend on the specific hosting mechanism. There isn't necessarily
> > going to be one way that will suit all ways that WSGI can be hosted,
> > thus why there partly isn't a standard on how to do it.
>
> I appreciate all the good points you made above that I snipped, however,
> surely the aim of WSGI is to allow the application author to not have to
> worry so much about deployment but what I'm hearing is that if you get
> your application implementation wrong, you'll suffer badly in lots of
> deployment situations.

The WSGI specification only talks about the request interface between
application and underlying web server. It doesn't really say anything
about deployment issues. Thus, different hosting solutions provided
different means of doing it.

Remember, that various underlying servers now used for hosting WSGI
applications existed before the WSGI specification came along. Also,
various applications existed before as well and have been converted to
be able to host on top of WSGI adapters. For some of those, they still
carry setup requirements which hark back to the original way they were
hosted. There is also no consistency in how configuration is done.

Such is the way things are. :-)

Graham