[Web-SIG] [extension] x-wsgiorg.flush

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Wed Oct 3 21:52:01 CEST 2007

Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
> [...]
>
> Now that I understand what this is for, I can explain why a WSGI
> extension is not necessary to provide this feature.  In a compliant WSGI
> gateway, yielding an empty string from 'a-generator' is sufficient to
> "flush" the WSGI pipeline.

But the WSGI pipeline should already be flushed for every string
yielded, right?

An interesting "extension" for an asynchronous WSGI gateway is to
"suspend" the iteration when an empty string is returned, creating a
timer that fires after 0 milliseconds (in Twisted, this is the same as
callLater(0, ...))

> I suggest that you read this section of the spec more carefully:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0333/#buffering-and-streaming

There is a problem here: a WSGI gateway is not allowed to send headers
until the app_iter yields a non empty string or the iterator is exausted.

Regards  Manlio Perillo