[Web-SIG] WSGI 2.0

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Oct 8 02:37:05 CEST 2007

Manlio Perillo wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
>> At 11:04 AM 10/6/2007 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>>> As an example, the WSGI write callable cannot be implemented in a
>>> conforming way in Nginx.
>> ...unless you use a separate thread or process.
>>

> I'm insisting about asynchronous support in WSGI because
> Nginx *does not supports threads*.
>
> It has some thread support but it is *broken*.
> Even if in future the problems are solved, the threading model of Nginx
> *will break* many existing WSGI applications, since the WSGI iteration
> can be resumed in different threads.

Just so you are aware -- almost all current WSGI applications block, and
can't be run in asynchronous environments.  So if you are writing WSGI
support that doesn't support applications that block, well, it won't
really be able to do much with current WSGI code.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org
             : Write code, do good : http://topp.openplans.org/careers