[Web-SIG] [proposal] merging jsonrpc into xmlrpc

Robert Brewer fumanchu at aminus.org
Wed Apr 9 07:52:56 CEST 2008

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Alan Kennedy wrote:
> > Perhaps some pythonista from Web-SIG is most appropriate to advise
> > how JSON-RPC should move forward? After all, we're more accustomed
> > server-side stuff than those javascript folks ;-)
>
> Let it die?  It is more complicated than necessary, when instead you
> could just make each function a URL of its own, and POST the arguments
> and get back the response, with 500 Server Error for errors.  It's
hard
> to spec that up because it's too simple.

Yup. We just built one of those at work, with the added bonus that a GET
of the same URI returns an HTML form for submitting the right JSON in a
POST. The HTML also shows function metadata (args and return type). A
GET on the parent path returns a bunch of links to GET the children.
Handy and almost RESTful if you squint and call each function a
"resource". I'd still rather have real resources that align with
application state, but it makes for a good transition strategy from
existing RPC mechanisms.

Robert Brewer
fumanchu at aminus.org