[Web-SIG] [issue1432] Strange behavior of urlparse.urljoin

O.R.Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 00:17:09 CEST 2008

This bug report is on particular behavior of urlparse.urljoin. The way it is
currently coded is, compliant with RFC2396

With
Base: http://a/b/c/d;p?q

Relative URLS:
?y            gives  http://a/b/c/?y

But the Bug Report points out that this is not valid behaviour and references
RFC3986 (which has superceded RFC2396) as how handle it.

Base: http://a/b/c/d;p?q

Relative URL:

"?y"            =  "http://a/b/c/d;p?y"

I have a patch available to make this change.

However, while discussing this issue with Facundo, we have a thought if this is
correct time to incorporate this fix as Python 3.0 is already in BETA2.
There has  apparant change in 'working behaviour' due to update of the RFC.

In my opinion, it is okay (as it been requested by a bug-report/user's need
and have a justification in updated RFC), what does Web-SIG feel about this
issue?

Please provide your thoughts on this.

--
O.R.Senthil Kumaran