[Web-SIG] Dealing with urllib, urllib2, and urlparse

Joe Gregorio joe at bitworking.org
Fri Feb 22 04:34:22 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
>
> > Brett Cannon wrote:
>  >  > which I am liking. But I figured I would ask if there is any remote
>  >  > chance the this SIG has plans to either merge urllib and urllib2 or
>  >  > come up with a new module, or something before 3.0 comes out.
>  >
>  >  httplib2 is basically a replacement for urllib.  I personally prefer it
>  >  to urllib.  I don't know how other people feel, or Joe's thoughts (the
>  >  author).
>  >

>  Since no one has stepped forward to go through the hoops necessary to
>  get it into the stdlib I am not going to worry about it for this
>  issue.

I submitted my contributor agreement a while ago, so it should be on file.
My goal has always been to bring forward httplib2 for inclusion in the
std lib, but I didn't want to do that until I got support for proxies, which
just recently went in, and then there's starting to work at Google
which has soaked up all my time as I got up to speed. Anyway, enough
excuses.

I am willing to go through the hoops necessary to get into the std lib
if someone wants to guide me in that process.

   Thanks,
   -joe

--
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org