[Web-SIG] parsing of urlencoded data and Unicode

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Jul 29 18:21:09 CEST 2008

> > That's probably wrong.  We went through this recently on the
> > python-dev list.  While it's possible to tell the encoding of
> > multipart/form-data,
>
> With multipart/form-data the problem should be the same.
> The content type is defined only for file fields.

Actually, it's defined for all fields, isn't it?  From RFC 2388:

``As with all multipart MIME types, each part has an optional
"Content-Type", which defaults to text/plain.''

So the type is "text/plain" unless it says something else.  And,
according to RFC 2046, the default charset for "text/plain" is
"US-ASCII".

> Can you point me to the discussion on python-dev list?

See http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-July/081013.html
and the subsequent conversation.

And http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-July/081066.html
and the reply to that.