[Web-SIG] Time a for JSON parser in the standard library?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Mar 16 23:52:26 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Alan Kennedy <pywebsig at xhaus.com> wrote:
> [Deron]
>  > (I just joined this list, so this reponse may not be threaded properly)
>
>  [Bob]
>
> > I wasn't subscribed to the list at the time this came up, but I'm all
>  > for getting simplejson into the stdlib.
>
>  Well, it appears we have a quorum of JSON<->python codec writers,
>  since I've written a jython module that I'd like to interoperate with
>  cpython codecs. I think it's appropriate for any discussions of JSON
>  to take place on the web-sig.
>
>  I've been thinking about how to take this forward. I see two ways

Are there *really* competing implementations? I mean, it seems that
pretty much everyone uses simplejson, at least in the web framework
world. If someone writes a test for BMP, we'll fix it. As far as byte
encoding detection I think that's beyond the scope of a JSON
implementation and I think it's unnecessary in the first place.

As far as Jython support goes, I suppose that's probably fixable
without too much effort. I would imagine that the problems are just in
the decoder, because of the sre_* module (ab)use. Was there some other
reason for writing a Jython-specific codec?

-bob