[Web-SIG] Time a for JSON parser in the standard library?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:37:24 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>  I'm reading Alan's post as saying that he has a competing implementation.

Yes, there are several JSON implementation now, some
better than others.

I finally sat down and put the five or so top JSON libraries
to the test so we can all see what's what.  I've put everything
in a report here:

http://deron.meranda.us/python/comparing_json_modules/

I have tried to be very rigorous.  There's probably mistakes
in there, so let me know if anybody finds any.  Also if any
of you module authors update your code and want me to
re-do the tests against a newer version let me know.

I do have to say I'm glad to see that many of the
implementations have been getting much much better since
I first checked out the scene a year ago.

Yes, my module is among those, but I don't particularly
care who's we use (or derive from) for inclusion in Python,
as long as we can clean up any warts or issues with
non-conformance.  Seeing all these compared in one place
might give all of us ideas for a better approach before
anything becomes an official Python component. I've
certainly learned a few things I could do better with mine
by looking at everybody else's.

I do think though that if this is targeted for Python 3, that
none of the modules really works well.  We should really
design an interface that uses the bytes type rather
than str for pushing around encoded JSON data.

>  But I believe that both approaches Alan offers are overkill: he
>  proposes something like the db-API, where there are multiple
>  implementations of the same API (except in the case of the db-API they
>  aren't necessarily 100% interchangeable).

I agree, let's not go down the db-API path!  It's full of mud.

--
Deron Meranda