[Web-SIG] WSGI and greenlets

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Wed May 7 11:23:04 CEST 2008

Manlio Perillo ha scritto:
> [...]
> The main problem I see with greenlet is that is is not yet stable (there
> are some problems with the garbage collector) and that is is not part of
> CPython.
>
> This means that it can be not acceptable to write a PEP for a WSGI like
> interface with coroutine support.

Maybe a solution can be to add a new variable to the WSGI environ:
wsgi.microthreads

When it is true it means that the WSGI implementation will execute the
application inside a micro thread (may it be stackless, greenlet, pypy
coroutine).

Also note that when using coroutines there will be no problems with WSGI
2.0.

However I still think that we should release a WSGI 1.1 since many
applications still use and will continue to use WSGI 1.x and a gateway
will have to support WSGI 1.x in order to support both WSGI 1.x and 2.x

Regards  Manlio Perillo