[Web-SIG] Python 3.0 and WSGI 1.0.

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:29:18 CEST 2009

Based on any discussions at PyCon, can someone give a summary of any
conclusions drawn about how WSGI 1.0 should be implemented in Python
3.0.

The previous analysis of this is at:

  http://www.wsgi.org/wsgi/Amendments_1.0

I realise it may be work in progress, but I note that work being done
on WSGI server associated with CherryPy for Python 3.0 by Robert isn't
necessarily following that and is perhaps starting to do things in a
way that I understood were only being speculated upon for WSGI 2.0,
not for WSGI 1.0. For example:

  http://www.cherrypy.org/changeset/2199

In particular, it has:

  environ["SCRIPT_NAME"] = b""

The bit from prior analysis which is relevant is:

"""When running under Python 3, servers MUST provide CGI HTTP
variables as strings, decoded from the headers using HTTP standard
encodings (i.e. latin-1 + RFC 2047) (Open question: are there any CGI
or WSGI variables that should NOT be strings?)"""

Since mod_wsgi has used the prior analysis as basis of Python 3.0
support, would want to know pretty soon what direction WSGI 1.0 under
Python 3.0 is going to take, else I am going to have to delay
releasing mod_wsgi 3.0 or simply yank the support for Python 3.0.

Robert, yes I know I could have asked you direct, but want a consensus
from all who were present at PyCon and discussed these things.

Graham