[Web-SIG] empty action attribute with forms in Google Chrome

Randy Syring randy at rcs-comp.com
Mon Apr 27 23:19:18 CEST 2009

For the last four years, I have always used an empty action attribute on
my form to make it post back to the current URL.  I almost always
validate my HTML and this has never come up as a violation.
Furthermore, I have read various people on the web advocating this practice.

Recently, however, I went to use Google Chrome to look at some of my web
apps and I noticed that none of my forms work.  In use a <base> tag and
empty form attributes.  Whenever I submit a form in Chrome, it gets
posted to the root URL (i.e. what I have in my <base> tag).  Am I
violating the spec or is this something Google Chrome got wrong?  What I
have works in IE, FF, and Opera.

Thanks.

--
Randy Syring