[Web-SIG] WSGI 2

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Aug 4 02:11:04 CEST 2009

At 04:32 PM 8/3/2009 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Would this be a new PEP or a revision?  I think it should be a new
>PEP, as WSGI 1 remains valid and the same as it always was, and PEP
>333 describes that.

+1 for a new PEP, since we'd be able to drop a lot of crufty examples
and explanations about the cruddy bits.  wsgiref should add 1->2 and
2->1 adapters.  (Although technically, running a WSGI 1 application
in a WSGI 2 server requires either threads or greenlets.)

IMO, the main benefit of implementing WSGI 2 is to applications, not
servers, with the possible exception of async servers (e.g. Twisted)
that would prefer an iterator-only communications mode.  Such servers
could refactor their WSGI 1 support into a (thread or greenlet-based)
WSGI 2->1 adapter.

Synchronous servers, OTOH, might as well stay WSGI 1, and simply use
a standard 1->2 adapter to support WSGI 2.