[Web-SIG] WSGI 2

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Aug 5 04:19:27 CEST 2009

At 10:53 AM 8/5/2009 +1000, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>Now, the main reason why I am throwing around alternate suggestions in
>the first place is that last time although people seem to be
>comfortable moving along with the idea of latin-1 everywhere, I knew
>of some who weren't happy with that, some not on the list, and who
>believed it should be bytes, but they weren't speaking up.

I suspect that this was all a confusion to begin with; the primary
function of Latin-1 in WSGI has been a way to represent bytes when
all you have to represent them with is unicode strings.  So, even
when we've been talking Latin-1, what we really mean is bytes.  ;-)

In general, I think we want to require that servers must provide
bytes, and accept both bytes and Latin-1 (maybe just ASCII?)
strings.  (I don't see a problem with environ keys being strings,
though, since all the WSGI or CGI-defined keys are pure ASCII
anyway.  But I could just as easily go with "bytes everywhere"; I
assume Py3 treats all-ascii byte strings and the equivalent unicode
as being equal and hashing alike.)