[Web-SIG] Move to bless Graham's WSGI 1.1 as official spec

Henry Precheur henry at precheur.org
Fri Dec 4 20:50:09 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 07:40:55PM +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> What are the functions that does not works with byte strings?

Just to make things clear, I was talking about Python 3.

All the functions I tried not ending with _from_bytes raise an exception
with bytes. This includes urllib.parse.parse_qs & urllib.parse.urlparse
which are rather critical ...

> First of all, HTTP never says that whole headers are of type TEXT.
> Only specific components are of type TEXT.

If parts of a header contain latin-1 characters, that means its
encoding is latin-1 (at least partially).

> Moreover, HTTPbis has finally clarified this; TEXT is no more used,
> instead non ascii characters are to be considered opaque.

Yes, but the HTTPbis draft also says:

   Historically, HTTP has allowed field content with text in the
   ISO-8859-1 character encoding.

And WSGI is not about HTTP in a distant future, it's about HTTP right
now.

> Do you really want to define the new WSGI specification to be "against"
> the new (possible) HTTP spec?

I don't know why it would be "against" it. WSGI aims to handle HTTP in
the real world. Just because the HTTPbis spec is released wont take all
the garbage out of the web. There will still be latin-1 strings in
headers passed around for the next 10 years.

--
  Henry Prêcheur