[Web-SIG] repoze.bfg web framework 1.0 released

Randy Syring randy at rcs-comp.com
Mon Jul 6 06:01:50 CEST 2009

Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> 2009/7/6 Randy Syring <randy at rcs-comp.com>:
>
>> Chris,
>>
>> Sounds interesting.  Question: Does it support some
>> kind of module/plugin architecture that will allow me to develop "plug-
>> in" functionality across projects?  What would be called in
>> Django an "app".
>>

> The documentation says:
>
> """
> Like Zope, but unlike Pylons applications or most Django applications,
> when you build a repoze.bfg application, if you obey certain
> constraints, the application you produce can be reused, modified,
> re-integrated, or extended by third-party developers without
> modification to the original application itself. See Extending An
> Existing repoze.bfg Application for more information about extending
> or modifying an existing repoze.bfg application.
> """
>
> http://docs.repoze.org/bfg/current/narr/introduction.html#differences-from-other-frameworks
> http://docs.repoze.org/bfg/current/narr/extending.html#extending-chapter
>
> Graham

Graham,

Thanks for responding.  I read that section above, but I don't think it
answers my question.  Or, maybe it does, just not the way I had hoped it
would be answered.  My understanding is that you can
reuse/modify/extend/etc. applications.  However, what I have in mind is
not so much the integration of multiple applications as it is the
integration of components into an application.  The difference being
that my "blog component" doesn't have any kind of DB settings or global
templates.  The configuration is minimal and only deals with things
specific to the blog component (i.e. to allow coments or not).  However,
the application level configuration contains DB settings, admin emails,
etc. and also has global templates (i.e. the main templates that define
the look and feel for the entire site).

So based on the documentation, I am certain I could extend an
application if needed.  However, the real question I have is: can an
application be made up of "pluggable" components that can be reused
between applications?

Randy Syring
RCS Computers & Web Solutions
502-644-4776