[Web-SIG] Announcing bobo

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jun 19 16:05:04 CEST 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> It is suggested that most web frameworks authors aims at a very
> (wide?)
> audience and bet that most peoples are bozos, clowns, or idiots. I
> think
> this rationale might work in some cases, because users of thoses
> frameworks indeed might not have all those hard-core technical
> knowledges about, say, URL routing, WSGI or even schema migration.

I won't speak for other frameworks, but bobo's target audience is
"idiots" in the same sense that the popular "idiot's guides" and
"dummies" books are aimed at idiots and dummies.  Of course, these
books and bobo aren't *really* aimed at idiots or dummies (or bozos or
clowns -- well maybe clowns). They're aimed at people who don't really
want hard-core knowledge. They want to learn something quickly so that
they can get things done.  In my experience, many people writing web
applications want to focus on their applications.  They aren't really
interested in nitty-gritty plumbing details, they just want to get
their application working well.  For many people, web development
isn't their full time job.  It's one of many things they do and they
don't want to have a lot to remember or re-learn. Many full-time web
developers have more interesting things to focus on that publishing
mechanics. I know I do.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton