[Web-SIG] announcing 'httpmessage'

Matt Anderson manders2k.dev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 23:29:40 CET 2009

Hello all --

A few months ago I found myself wanting to write an HTTP proxy.  I
surveyed the standard library and pypi for a good foundation on which
to build such a thing, and I didn't find (or failed to recognize)
anything particularly well suited to being that foundation.
Admittedly, I didn't really look *that* hard, as I wanted to better
learn low level network / web programming anyway.

After a couple of false starts, I've ended up with a package I called
'httpmessage'.  I've made it available at:

   http://code.google.com/p/httpmessage/

It's my first open source software release. I imagine it might be
useful to other people, so I spent some extra time putting a little
polish on the documentation.

It's essentially a low level http library, modeling an HTTP message as
a dict-like/file-like object hybrid.  Dict-api for raw-header access,
file-like-api for raw entity access, and a plethora of descriptors for
higher-level header access.  It knows how to read HTTP messages from a
file-like object or socket data source.  It tries not to make an
assumption that you are programming a web client or a web server, just
that you want to communicate via HTTP.

It isn't extensively tested, isn't that mature, isn't covered by unit
tests (I'm starting to work on that now) and a few things are even
still missing.  Yes, a glowing endorsement ;-).  But it's developed to
the point where I find it to be useful.  Others might too.

Comments, feedback, suggestions welcome.

--
Matt Anderson