[Web-SIG] Future of WSGI

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Nov 24 22:35:11 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Malthe Borch <mborch at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The proposal that seemed to work best was to keep the environ as str
>> (i.e., unicode in Python 3), and eliminate the problematic SCRIPT_NAME
>> and PATH_INFO, replacing them with url-encoded values.  Also I think
>> everyone is okay with removing start_response.  All text would be
>> decoded as latin1 on Python 3 (which allows for transcoding; also most
>> text is not unicode).  The request and response body would remain bytes.
>>

> I assume with "all text" you mean all header text, e.g. all header values.

All the things that are specified to be str, would stay str in Python 3.
 This includes all keys, headers, and stuff like wsgi.url_scheme.

> Can we talk briefly then about wsgi.*? I think we should eliminate them and
> in their place put a real request object, something very basic that has only
> what's absolutely necessary to communicate the essential data from the
> low-level HTTP request.
>
> There is no way that the environment can express an HTTP request. This was
> a mistake in my view and we should rectify it either in 1.1 or 2.0.

I'm not aware of any problems with representing the request with a
dictionary.  Can you give examples?

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |
http://topplabs.org/civichacker