[Web-SIG] Future of WSGI

Sylvain Hellegouarch sh at defuze.org
Tue Nov 24 23:16:05 CET 2009

> I'm not aware of any problems with representing the request with a
> dictionary.  Can you give examples?

Though it shouldn't be considered as a problem, the fact that probably
no existing framework actually use the raw dictionary (there is, in
almost all cases, a wrapping into a friendlier object), one might wonder
why keeping such a low level interface rather than directly provide a
higher level interface is a good idea. After all creating those
dictionaries for no good reason aside from sending them to the next
layer which will map them into a WebOb, a yaro, a cherrypy request, or
zope request, etc. seems slightly pointless (I'm not versed into Python
internals, but doesn't it have also a cost of creating rather useless
objects repeatedly like that?) I know WSGI tries hard not to force into
one implementation but still...

- Sylvain