[Web-SIG] WSGI and async Servers

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Sep 18 00:57:13 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Armin Ronacher
<armin.ronacher at active-4.com> wrote:
> Why would it be good to encourage async applications on top of WSGI?
> Because people would otherwise come up with their own implementations
> that are incompatible to each other.  Maybe that should not go into WSGI
> but a AWSGI or whatever, but I'm pretty sure we should at least consider
> it and ask people that use asynchronous applications/servers what the
> issues with WSGI are.

I think AWSGI would be most appropriate.  There's too much going on,
and trying to keep WSGI sane while allowing async is just too hard.
If we fork, then people can get something that really works well, they
can try it out with real applications, and then maybe we can look at
something we know works and see if AWSGI/WSGI differences can be
resolved to bring it back into one spec.  And indeed it's quite
possible at the library level that AWSGI could be supported by other
libraries; I'm guessing for instance that WebOb would just require a
few checks around the request body, and probably the response would
work relatively fine (but for many patterns a normal response object
would not be sufficient in an async context -- but that's fine too).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker