[Web-SIG] String Types in WSGI [Graham's WSGI for py3]

Benoit Chesneau benoitc at couch.it
Fri Sep 18 11:03:27 CEST 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 10:12 AM, René Dudfield wrote:

> Why is the raw url needed(very rarely)?
>
> Sometimes there are bugs.  Access to the raw string lets you work
> around those bugs... if you need to.  Dropping to a lower level is
> needed sometimes.
>
> Some APIs require you to send back an exact copy of the input url.  Or
> sometimes you want to know what input url was used... not the cleaned
> up version of it.  Sometimes clients calling the wsgi code will be
> buggy... and looking at the unquoted url is needed in those cases to
> work around buggy clients.

And sometimes you need to support full uri spec. For example %2F is
different from / . Actually if all url is decoded you don't know if
the client request was %2F or /, you just get a /. Which is annoying.
It causes some problem with some api ,I'm  thinking to couchdb for
example who accept db name with a %2F inside to allow creation of
folder on user system.

- benoit