[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon Sep 21 06:25:40 CEST 2009

I'll try to digest some of this, currently I'm pretty clueless.

Personally, I find it a bit hard to get excited about Python 3 as a web
application deployment platform.  This is of course a personal judgment (I
don't mean to slight Python 3) but at this point, I'll think I'll probably be
writing software that targets 2.X exclusively for at least the next five years.

Given this point of view, it would be extremely helpful if someone could
explain to people with the same outlook why we should want to deal with Unicode
strings in any WSGI specification.

WSGI is a fairly low-level protocol aimed at folks who need to interface a
server to the outside world.  The outside world (by its nature) talks bytes.  I
fear that any implied conversion of environment values and iterable return
values to Unicode will actually eventually make things harder than they are
now.  I realize that it would make middleware implementors lives harder to need
to deal in bytes.  However, at this point, I also believe that middleware kinda
should be hard.  We have way too much middleware that shouldn't be middleware
these days (some written by myself).

Anyway, for us slower (and maybe wrongly fearful) folks, could someone
summarize the benefits of having a WSGI specification that requires Unicode.
Bonus points for an explanation that does not boil down to "it will be
compatible with Python 3".

- C