[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Sep 22 03:03:06 CEST 2009

At 03:26 PM 9/21/2009 -0700, Robert Brewer wrote:
>It looks simpler until you have a site that is not primarily utf-8. In
>that case, you multiply your (1 line * number of middlewares in the WSGI
>stack * each request). With wsgi.uri_encoding you get either (1 line * 1
>middleware designed to transcode * each request), or even 0 if your
>whole site uses just one charset.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, you end up adding an extra
"if" statement *everywhere*, to check whether wsgi.uri_encoding is
what you want it to be or not.

(Btw, this whole notion of talking about WSGI "sites" also doesn't
make sense, since WSGI doesn't have "sites", it has
recursively-composable application objects.  Sure, if you're using a
monolithic framework, you can think of applications as unified
entities, but that's not true of WSGI as a whole.)