[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 04:07:27 CEST 2009

2009/9/22 Mark Nottingham <mnot at mnot.net>:
> Most things is not the Web. How will you handle serving images through WSGI?
> Compressed content?  PDFs?

You are perhaps misunderstanding something. A WSGI application still
should return bytes.

The whole concept of any sort of fallback to allow unicode data to be
returned for response content was purely so the canonical hello world
application as per Python 2.X could still be used on Python 3.X.

So, we aren't saying that the only thing WSGI applications can return
is unicode strings for response content.

Have you read my original blog post that triggered all this discussion
this time around?

Graham