[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 09:10:03 CEST 2009

2009/9/22 Mark Nottingham <mnot at mnot.net>:
> You're twisting my words; nowhere did I say i wasn't willing to read the
> PEP. What I did say was that a proposal can and should be made in less than
> eleven pages; I'd like to give my feedback, both because I use Python and
> because I have some interest in HTTP. However, my time is limited, and I
> already have a stack of other things to review on my desk.
>
> He who writes the most words does not (hopefully, for the sake of the Python
> community) win. I appreciate that you've taken the time to reason out a
> proposal, but the minutia of how you got to that place should not obscure
> the proposal itself.
>
> I'm not sure how to take your "ticket monkeys" comment, so I'll ignore it.

Sorry if I come across as being short.

None of us has time and this whole WSGI on Python 3.0 issue has been
going on since start of last year. Many of us are quite tired of it
all. I also don't personally know who you are, not recollecting seeing
your name in any past discussions. I am told though you were involved
back at time of original WSGI specification drafting, so apologies.

The ticket monkeys reference is just the allusion to a help desk. I
always think of what happens when people jump on IRC as being worst
case. That is, they treat people there like help desk staff who only
exist to serve them and not anyone else. So, you see people who have a
complex problem, pose a question in a single line. They then expect a
even more complex solution to there problem, usually expressed in one
line again.

There is a book I have been meaning to read called the 'Trusted
Advisor' which apparently goes on about providing assistance to others
as comparing the idea of being like a ticket monkey (help desk),
versus building a relationship with people in order to understand
their real issues and provide better solutions. Obviously being an
advisor rather than a help desk is ultimately going to be better for
the people needing help, but if the customer has the frame of mind
that you are just the help desk and don't want to put any effort into
the relationship, it is hard to try and be that advisor.

So, I felt a bit like a help desk in the way I interpreted your comments.

Graham