[Web-SIG] Proposal to remove SCRIPT_NAME/PATH_INFO

Henry Precheur henry at precheur.org
Wed Sep 23 07:05:40 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:26:15PM -0400, P.J. Eby wrote:
> +1, if you mean the strings have the same content,
> character-for-character on Python 2.3.  That is, a \x80 byte in a
> Python 2 'str' is matched by an \x80 character in the Python 3
> 'str'.  (I presume that's what we mean by "native", but I want to be sure.)

It is the case (Python 3 code):

    >>> ord(b'\x80'.decode('latin1')) == b'\x80'[0]
    True

Also I'd like to point out that the "Cookie problem" could be more
general than we think. HTTP_COOKIE is the only header we have identified
so far with a weird encoding scheme. But I am pretty sure some idiots
have or will create other weird headers with strange encoding scheme
--"let's mix UTF-8 & latin1 just for the fun of it".

By defaulting to latin-1 it will ensure that WSGI is solid enough to
face these weird situations.

I stronly backs the use of a single encoding. The proposed
wsgi.uri_encoding method doesn't seem to add anything compared to
latin-1.

Ian's proposal seems to be fairly complete and address all the issue we
had, with the exception of the outstanding issues he pointed out at the
end of his mail.

--
  Henry Prêcheur