[Web-SIG] IIS and Python CGI - how do I see more than just the form data?

J.D. Main jdmain at comcast.net
Sat Apr 3 18:32:01 CEST 2010

Hi Folks,

I hope this question hasn't already been answered...

I'm using IIS 5 and calling a python script directly in the URL of a request.
Something like:

http://someserver/myscript.py

or even

http://someserver/myscript.py?var1=something&var2=somthingelse

Using the CGI module, I can certainly see and act upon the variables that
are passed as  GET or POST actions.  What I'm after is something more
low level.  I want to see the entire HTTP request with everything inside it.

Does IIS actually pass that information to the CGI application or does it just
pass the variables?

The intent is to write a "RESTFUL" CGI script.  I need to actually "see" the
URI and the parameters of the incoming request to map the appropriate
action.  Without short circuiting the IIS webserver, how would my python
parse the following:

http://someserver/someapp/someuser/someupdate?var1=Charlie

Thanks in advance!

JDM