[Web-SIG] WSGI for Python 3

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 07:38:56 CEST 2010

On Friday, July 16, 2010, And Clover <and-py at doxdesk.com> wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 06:43 AM, Ian Bicking wrote:
>

> There's only a couple tricky keys: SCRIPT_NAME, PATH_INFO,
> and HTTP_COOKIE.
>

> (And of those, PATH_INFO is the only one that really matters, in that no-one really uses non-ASCII script filenames,

FWIW, I had to go to a lot of trouble to allow non ASCII in final
SCRIPT_NAME in mod_wsgi. Specifically using AddHandler directive in
Apache means a file system path can make up part of SCRIPT_NAME. I had
someone who was specifically using Russian in a WSGI script file name
and because with AddHandler that becomes part of SCRIPT_NAME you had
to cater for it. Anyway this was more of a Windows issue in having to
use special file system functions to deal with fact that on Windows
filesystem paths aren't UTF-8 but something else.

What this does highlight though is that although one can talk about
passing raw script name through to application, that isn't necessarily
right as it isn't the application that dictates what encoding may be
used but the web server which is performing the mapping of that part
of the original URL path to a potential filesystem resource, or
alternatively where file based configuration for mount point, the
encoding of the web sever configuration file.

We touched on all of this before in prior discussions, thus original
raw value is only relevant in PATH_INFO and not SCRIPT_NAME as in the
case of the latter it is the web server that dictates the charset
based on configuration file encoding or file system encoding.

Graham