[Web-SIG] WSGI for Python 3

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat Jul 17 21:51:59 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Armin Ronacher <armin.ronacher at active-4.com
> wrote:

>  On 7/17/10 9:15 AM, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> This is an Apache-specific issue.  It definitely doesn't apply to
>> paste.httpserver, I doubt CherryPy or wsgiref.  I don't really know how
>> Nginx or other servers work.
>>

> This will be an issue for every server that...
>
>  * supports unicode filesystems
>  * decides to do internal mapping based on URIs and not IRIs

I think specifically it's hard to go back and forth between URL-encoded and
decoded paths, so if a system parses the decoded path then it's difficult to
they would require (minor) rewriting; but then they can be rewritten so it's
not as concerning.  Apache cannot be rewritten to parse the encoded URL.  I
think working on the encoded URLs is a better representation of HTTP, and
HTTP URLs, and of browser behavior... but there is a legacy concern.

I don't think IRI or URI matters in this case; by decoding you *could*
transcode URLs from UTF-8 to some local encoding, but that's not the issue I
see us encountering here, it's really the more simple issue of URL encoding.

(I should say I appreciate this concrete concern; it keeps us grounded when
we discuss HTTP *specifically*, not bytes-v-unicode generally)

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org