[Web-SIG] httplib and 100-continue support

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed May 26 07:19:15 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Graham Dumpleton
<graham.dumpleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bigger problem may be to find a server which actually supports
> 100-continue in the way one would expect it to work.

Fortunately in my specific case that's not an issue as I wrote
the server from scratch (in C) and so I have full control over exactly
how it works and how closely to the RFC I can make it.  ... This is
not a general-purpose web server (or I'd be using Apache/mod_wsgi
here), but its a REST interface to a complex application.  It's also giving
me a good excuse to get even more familiar with the intricacies of the
HTTP/1.1 spec. -- So unlike most of my projects where I have Python
on the server side ; in this case my Python is just on the client side.

But for the wider consideration, it's good to know that server-side
support for 100-continue with Python currently has its limits as well.

> If you want to upload to a Python web application your options are
> possibly quite limited.
>
> In the Apache space, the following definitely work:
>
> * mod_wsgi embedded mode
>
> And the following will not work as desired:
>
> * mod_wsgi daemon mode

Is this a limit in the WSGI spec, with Apache, or just something
with the current version of mod_wsgi?

I know you've proposed many changes to WSGI to fix a lot
of things, and a lot of the discussions seem to be on the
encoding or decoding of headers.  But was this ability to
do things like the 100-continue also among the issues that
have been raised?

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/