[Web-SIG] PEP 444

Alice Bevan-McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Sun Nov 21 18:32:00 CET 2010

> PEP 444 has no champion currently.  Both Armin and I have basically left it behind.  It would be great if you wanted to be its champion.

Done.

As I already have a functional, performant HTTP server[1] and example filter[2] (compression) utilizing a slightly modified version of PEP 444, and hope to be giving a presentation on its design and related utilities[3] early next year, I’d love to have the opportunity to directly shape its future.  My server may be a bit large to be a reference implementation, but until it has its first user I have the benefit of being able to experiment whole-heartedly with features and proposals.

Since Python 3 was released I haven’t heard of much forward-progress in getting web frameworks compatible.  The largest complaint I’ve heard is that there are too few things already ported, which is a chicken and the egg problem.  This is one scenario where re-inventing the wheel may be the only way to see forward movement.  So far, I seem to be buckling down and Getting Things Done™ in this regard.

How would I go about getting access to the PEP in order to fix the issues I’ve been catching up on?  (I’ve been reading through quite a bit of old mailing list traffic these last few hours in-between writing docs and unit tests for the compression egress filter.)

Now I’m even more excited.  I’ll make a separate post to confirm and get some input on the issues I’ve encountered thus far.

	— Alice.

[1] https://github.com/pulp/marrow.server.http
[2] https://github.com/pulp/marrow.wsgi.egress.compression — full documentation included
[3] http://web-core.org/marrow/confoo/ — input welcome; the deadline for modification is the 26th