[Web-SIG] PEP 444 (aka Web3)

Ty Sarna ty at sarna.org
Thu Sep 16 19:56:46 CEST 2010

On Sep 16, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:

> Well, reiterating some things I've said before:
>
> * This is clearly just WSGI slightly reworked, why the new name?

Agreed. Among many other reasons, it seems poor from a Python 3 marketing perspective to introduce a name change that implies something totally different from WSGI that will require major rewrites to port to. It's also a poor choice as a rebranding even if one were desirable, I think. It's terribly generic, and suggests it's somehow a successor to "Web 2.0". Nor is it very search engine friendly, and there may be trademark issues (http://www.networkedplanet.com/Products/Web3/)

Also, ordering the response tuple for the very minor convenience of a couple of frameworks while simultaneously requiring them to make adjustments for the web3.* names seems strange to me.

Count me for retaining the WSGI naming, and for (status, headers, body), for what little it's worth.

> * It makes sense to me that the error stream should accept both bytes and unicode, and should do a best effort to handle either.  Getting encoding errors or type errors when logging an error is very distracting.

I think I agree with this too.