[Web-SIG] A Python Web Application Package and Format

Alice Bevan–McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Mon Apr 11 01:40:36 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-10 16:25:21 -0700, James Mills said:

> +1 too. I would however like to see this idea developed in a generic
> and useable way. ie: No zope/twisted deps or making it fit around
> Django :)
> Ideally it should be useable by the most basic (plain old WSGI).

The following are the collected ideas of myself and a few other users
in the WebCore chat room:

	https://gist.github.com/911991

Being generic (i.e. using WSGI under-the-hood) and allowing generic
port assignments for other (non-web) networked applications is a design
goal.

The aversion to packaged zips is not entirely understandable to us; in
this case, a packaged copy of the application is produced via a
setup.py command, though in theory one could develop with that model
and just zip everything up in the end by hand.

Silver Lining seems to require too much in the way of hacking
(modifying .pth files, etc) to be reasonable.

	— Alice.