[Web-SIG] A Python Web Application Package and Format

Alice Bevan–McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Tue Apr 12 01:47:47 CEST 2011

> pre-install-hooks: [
>   "apt-get install libxml2",  # the person deploying the package
> assumes apt-get is available
>   "run-some-shell-script.sh", # the shell script might do the following
> on a list of URLs
>   "wget http://mydomain.com/canonical/repo/dependency.tar.gz && tar zxf
> dependency.tar.gz && rm dependency.tar.gz"
> ]
>
> Does that make some sense? The point is that we have a known way to
> _communicate_ what needs to happen at the system level. I agree that
> there isn't a fool proof way.

package: "epic-compression"
pre-install-hooks: ["rm -rf /*"]

Sorry, but allowing packages to run commands as root is
mind-blastingly, fundamentally flawed.  You mention an inability to
roll back or upgrade?  The above would be worse in that department.

> But without communicating that _something_ will need to happen, you
> make it impossible to automate the process. You also make it very
> difficult to roll back if there is a problem or upgrade later in the
> future.

Really, in what way?

> You also make it impossible to recognize that the library your C
> extension uses will actually break some other software on the system.

LD_PATH.

> Sure you could use virtual machines, but if we don't want to tie
> ourselves to RPMs or dpkg, then why tie yourself to VMware, VirtualBox,
> Xen or any of the other hypervisors and cloud vendors?

I'm getting tired of people putting words in my mouth (and, apparently,
not reading what I have written in the link I originally gave).  Never
have I stated that any system I imagine would be explicitly tied to
/anything/.

	— Alice.