[Web-SIG] PEP 444 Goals

Timothy Farrell tfarrell at owassobible.org
Thu Jan 6 20:36:17 CET 2011

Hello web-sig.  My name is Timothy Farrell.  I'm the developer of the Rocket web server.  I understand that most of you are more experienced and passionate than myself.  But I'm come here because I want to see certain things standardized.  I'm pretty new to this forum but I've read through all the recent discussions on PEP 444.  That being said, I'll try to take a humble approach.

It seems to me that the spec that Alice is working on could be something great but the problems are not well defined (in the PEP).  This causes confusion about what the goals are.  There's some disagreement about whether or not certain features should be in PEP 444.  I think those people have a different idea for what PEP 444 ought to be.  The first thing that should be done is clearly defining the shortcomings with PEP 3333 that PEP 444 seeks to address and limit our PEP 444 discussions to solving those problems.

Since Alice is rewriting the PEP perhaps we should all sit back for a second until we have a PEP to work off of.  That will help the discussion be a little more focused.

Sorry if I've stepped on anyone's toes.

-tim