[Web-SIG] PEP 444 / WSGI 2 Async

Alice Bevan–McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Sat Jan 8 07:20:07 CET 2011

On 2011-01-07 22:13:17 -0800, Alex Grönholm said:
> 08.01.2011 07:09, P.J. Eby wrote:
>> On the plus side, the "run this in a future after the request" concept
>> has some legs... [snip]
>
> What exactly does "run this in a future after the request" mean? There
> seems to be some terminology confusion here.

I suspect he's referring to some of the notes on the "PEP 444 feature
request - Futures executor" thread and several of my illustrated use
cases, notably:

:: Image scaling (e.g. to multiple sizes) after uploading of an image
to be scaled where the response (Congratulations, image uploded!) does
not require the result of the scaling.

:: Content indexing which can also be performed after returning the
success page.

The former would executor.submit() a number of scaling jobs, attach
completion callbacks to perform some cleanup / database updating /
etc., and return a response immediately.  The latter is a single
executor submission that is entirely non-time-critical.

And likely other use cases as well.  This (inclusion of an executor
tuned to the underlying server in the environment) is one thing I think
we can (almost) all agree is a good idea.  :D  Discussion on that
particular idea should be relegated to the feature request thread,
though.

	- Alice.