[Web-SIG] [PEP 444] Future- and Generator-Based Async Idea

Alice Bevan–McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Sat Jan 8 15:17:23 CET 2011

On 2011-01-08 06:08:57 -0800, David Stanek said:
> Under the new spec would I be forced to make my applications and
> middleware this complicated?

An application that does not utilize futures (and thus this proposal
for async) is different from the current draft as it is written [1] by
only one word.  Replace 'return' with 'yield' and you're done.

Middleware is somewhat different (if using the decorator or PEP 380
syntax) or substantially different (if not using either of the two
mentioned simplifications) as middleware, by definition, needs to
implement both server and application sides of the "WSGI conversation".

As a side benefit, this should further reduce the perceived mis-use of
middleware [2,3] by the coercion (by implementation difficulty) of
inappropriate middleware being reimplemented as functional calls.

> Where is the most up-to-date version of pep444?

I’m in the process right now of completing my transcription of [1] into
[4].  Upon completion I will re-submit it for incorporation on the
Python.org website.  (Still marked as draft, of course.)

	- Alice.

[1] https://github.com/GothAlice/wsgi2/blob/master/pep444.textile
[2] http://dirtsimple.org/2007/02/wsgi-middleware-considered-harmful.html
[3] http://mockit.blogspot.com/2009/07/its-all-wrong.html