[Web-SIG] A 'shutdown' function in WSGI

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 23:06:46 CET 2012

If you want to be able to control a thread like that from an atexit
callback, you need to create the thread as daemonised. Ie.
setDaemon(True) call on thread.

By default a thread will actually inherit the daemon flag from the
parent. For a command line Python where thread created from main
thread it will not be daemonised and thus why the thread will be
waited upon on shutdown prior to atexit being called.

If you ran the same code in mod_wsgi, my memory is that the thread
will actually inherit as being daemonised because request handler in
mod_wsgi, from which import is trigger, are notionally daemonised.

Thus the code should work in mod_wsgi. Even so, to be portable, if
wanting to manipulate thread from atexit, make it daemonised.

Example of background threads in mod_wsgi at:

http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ReloadingSourceCode#Monitoring_For_Code_Changes

shows use of setDaemon().

Graham