[Web-SIG] Starting Web Servers using socket FDs

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Tue Jun 5 12:33:32 CEST 2012

On 6/5/12 12:31 PM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Tarek Ziadé<tarek at ziade.org>  wrote:
>> On 6/5/12 11:46 AM, Roberto De Ioris wrote:
>>>
>>> Gunicorn can already bind (or better, accept) from file descriptors
>>> specifying an environment variable.
>> I don't think you can start gunicorn using a file descriptor, or I failed to
>> do it. The best I was able to do was to create a small wsgi server
>> using Gunicorn as a lib.
>>
>> Gunicorn uses an environment variable when it respawns workers but it does
>> not offer it as a public option as far as I understand how it works
>>

> export GUNICORN_FD=<your fd>
>
> and then gunicorn will use this file descriptor when it starts.
>
> But it should be possible to pass it directly using a config option if
> it's needed.
What you be great then is to be able to run Gunicorn as a single process
without having it forking workers,
because the main goal is to be able to manage that process directly in
Circus -- e.g. skip all the arbiter part in Gunicorn

My attempt at this was this hack :
https://github.com/tarekziade/chaussette/commit/075003a24ffe92253da60aafc6f99062e0af267d#diff-3

Cheers
Tarek