[Web-SIG] REMOTE_ADDR and proxys

Collin Anderson cmawebsite at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 20:41:45 CEST 2014

Hi All,

The CGI spec says:

Script authors should be aware that the REMOTE_ADDR and REMOTE_HOST
meta-variables (see sections 4.1.8 and 4.1.9) may not identify the
ultimate source of the request.  They identify the client for the
immediate request to the server; that client may be a proxy, gateway,
or other intermediary acting on behalf of the actual source client.

However, if the there is a revere proxy on the server side (such as
nginx), it seems to me, the ip address of the "immediate request to
the server" will be "127.0.0.1" and the actual address will be in an
"X-Forwarded-For" header.

It seems to me, it is the role of the server/gateway, not the
application/framework to determine the "correct" client ip address and
correctly account for the situation of being behind a known proxy.

Also, I am aware of the security issues of improperly handling
X-Forwarded-For, but that's an issue no matter where it's being
handled.

So, in the case of a reverse proxy, is it ok if the WSGI server sends
back a REMOTE_ADDR that isn't 127.0.0.1, even if it's the immediate
connection to the WSGI server is local?

Basically can we interpret the "server" above to be the machine rather
than the program?

Thanks,
Collin