[Web-SIG] Fwd: Collating follow-up on the future of WSGI

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Jan 31 19:42:20 EST 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not speaking about websockets. You could use it for SSE, or some apps
> could use the Upgrade header to upgrade from http to their own protocol
> etc... The only discussion i saw about websockets are about the addition of
> an async api or an external api. I am not describing that. I am speaking
> about providing a low level abstraction like wsgi.input but adding to it the
> support of output. (I was referring to wsgi.multithread...). This low level
> interface would allow anyone to provide its own implementation(server) or
> usage (application) still acting as a *gateway* .

It sounds like you may be looking for something like this:

https://gist.github.com/pjeby/62e3892cd75257518eb0

It's a proposed standard protocol for breaking out of WSGI from inside
of a WSGI application, to access other protocols.  It doesn't deal
with the details of any particular upgraded protocol, it merely
provides an "upgrade to specifed protocol" API and a way to safely
pass it through arbitrary middleware.  The `wsgi.upgrades` environment
key is used to list available protocols.