[Wheel-builders] manylinux vagrant box

Max Linke max_linke at gmx.de
Mon Apr 18 03:25:02 EDT 2016

On 04/18/2016 01:51 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

  > Docker is pretty easy too, at least from linux -- spinning up a
> manylinux environment is just "sudo apt install docker.io && sudo
> docker run -ti quay.io/pypa/manylinux1_x86_64 bash". But I haven't
> tried using docker on other platforms (though I know it's possible to
> install docker somehow), and I haven't tried using vagrant at all :-).
>
> Given my ignorance, I'd be interested to hear more about what makes
> you excited about vagrant!

I can build the images myself starting from verified distribution
images. Thanks to the packer [1] tool this is very easy to setup.
Docker images are hard to verify and AFAIK there is no signing of images
or updates to them done. Building your own docker images from the ground
up also isn't that easy.

It is also super easy to change where images are stored my machine using
one environment variable. This is important to me because I usually have
small root partitions and a separate home partition.

Vagrant should run anywhere virtualbox/kvm and ruby are available. But
according to the docker docs it can now run on all platforms as well.

Otherwise in the usage they are very similar.

> The more the merrier :-). And the conda linux and manylinux build
> environments are *very* similar.

Good to know. Then I can also look into building wheels after the conda
packages are done.

[1] https://www.packer.io/