[Wheel-builders] [Matplotlib-devel] Manylinux external library test case - matplotlib, tk

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Apr 30 03:43:20 EDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I'm sure I missed the conversation, but as tkInter is included with Python
> itself, why can't the wheels link against the same version that python
> ships??

The problem is that we're trying to make a single build of matplotlib
that works with multiple different builds of Python, which might come
with different, incompatible builds of tkInter -- so if we build
against the version shipped with python A then it will be broken on
python B and vice-versa.

Or maybe not -- Matthew's seeing a segfault, and it *might* be due to
the existence of fundamental ABI incompatibilities between different
tk builds, but it hasn't really been characterized.

>> Submitting the buffer hook to tcl/tk and/or tkinter would be nice.
>
> That would be the better solution, yes -- presumable to tkinter -- but
> that's only going to help with Python 3.6 or greater.....
>
> (or maybe it could be back-ported)

It might get backported to 3.5, maybe 3.4 if we're really quick, but
it won't get backported to 2.7, so yeah, anything involving changing
python upstream isn't going to be a short-term solution.

-n